RHOP | Pharmacy Option
The University of Nebraska Medical Center (UNMC) College of Pharmacy recommends four
years of study at Peru State College, followed by four years of pharmacy education
at the UNMC College of Pharmacy. The fourth year curriculum at the College of Pharmacy
is experienced-based with emphasis on sites in rural communities in Nebraska. Although
students are eligible to apply to enter the pharmacy program after their third year
at Peru State and completion of the required 90 hours of prerequisites, the College
of Pharmacy recommends four years of study at Peru State and graduation with a Bachelor’s
degree prior to entering.
At Peru State, students in the RHOP may choose to major in any area, provided the student completes the pre-requisites for the pharmacy school. A major of Biochemical Science would be our recommendation but is not required. A Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) degree from UNMC will be awarded upon successful completion of the program.
Career Preparation Activities
Exposure to the world of pharmacy and rural health care is an important additional objective of the student’s studies at Peru State. Some activities in which each student may participate include:
- Attend UNMC conducted video conferences and classes.
- Develop a professional relationship with one or more practicing pharmacists.
- Job shadow pharmacists.
- Tour the University of Nebraska Medical Center.
- Work with pharmacy students at UNMC.
- Potentially attend classes with pharmacy students at UNMC.
- Observe pharmacists practicing in community pharmacies, hospitals, clinics, nursing homes and other practice sites.
- Participate in on-campus activities for health professions students.
- Meet with the RHOP coordinator regularly and follow the specific curriculum designed for this program.
- Complete courses in a timely manner in order to enter the professional program as scheduled.
- Each student is required to keep a journal of his or her professional activities and experiences at Peru State. The journals will be turned in to the pre-pharmacy advisor at the end of each semester.
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.5 is required during studies at Peru State.
- Should the student earn a "D" or an "F" in any course or have a semester in which the GPA falls below 3.5, the participant must immediately meet with the pre-pharmacy advisor. The student and the advisor will determine a remedial program in consultation with UNMC program administrators. The student will be considered at academic risk and will be placed on one semester of RHOP probation. If the GPA remains below 3.5 after the semester of probation the student may be dropped from the program.
- Follow the academic program sheet provided at the beginning of the student’s enrollment at Peru State College for the pre-pharmacy option in order to maintain timely progress through the program.
- Note: If selected into the RHOP program, all pertinent college-level math and science courses must be taken at Peru State College.
|Seats||3 (3 alternates)|
|Competitive ACT, but not required||25 or above|
|High School GPA Requirement||3.5 (must also maintain 3.5 GPA while studying at Peru State)|
|Time at Peru State/
Time at UNMC Omaha
|3-4 year each|
|Full Scholarship at Peru State||Yes|
|Deadline to Apply (application available September 15)||December 1|
|Contact||Dr. Dennis Welsh