Health & Physical Education
The Health and Physical Education program is designed to prepare students to teach health and physical education in grades Pre K through 12. Health and Physical Education majors will learn how to develop standards based curriculum to help foster the development of health and physically literate individuals. In addition, physical educators commonly serve as coaches for interscholastic sports. Therefore, a coaching supplemental endorsement is available and encouraged for all Health and Physical Education majors. If you desire to be a health/physical educator this program is perfect for you!
What makes the program unique?
- All Teacher Education programs at Peru State College are accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE).
- A variety of “hands-on” experiences in the PK-12 environment.
- Small class sizes with multiple projects relevant to applying the skills needed to be an effective health & physical education teacher.
- Practicum and student teaching experiences ensure learning opportunities that cannot be matched in the college classroom.
- All majors become certified instructors in Archery, Fishing in the Schools and CPR/First Aid.
- Teacher candidates receive training on standards and assessment throughout the Teacher Education program.
- School/Student partnerships create authentic experiences engaging with students above
and beyond the college classroom.
What sets faculty apart from other colleges?
- Faculty members are experienced practitioners in their field of education.
- The professors and Dean work closely with students to provide personal and individual advising guidance throughout their college career, later serving as a career reference.
- Faculty are readily available for assistance regarding class content and projects.
- Curriculum level of the College Library houses an entire level full of resources for education majors.
- Education Methods classrooms are filled with hands-on materials and state-of-the-art technology.
- Classes are taught in the state-of-the-art Al Wheeler Activity Center (AWAC) and fitness center.
- A Human Performance Lab provides state-of-the-art metabolic testing, body composition analysis, EMG/ECG function, as well as anaerobic and aerobic program design.