Programs & Courses
Student Learning Goals and Outcomes
1. Content and Foundational Knowledge: Students will understand the scientific and theoretical foundations for the delivery of an effective pre-K-12 health and physical education program.
- Students will be able to analyze historical, philosophical and social perspectives of health and physical education issues and legislation.
- Students will be able to describe and apply motor learning and behavior-change/ psychological principles related to skillful movement, physical activity and fitness for pre-K-12 students.
2. Skills and Health-related Fitness: Students will be physically literate and can demonstrate skillful performance in physical and health education content areas.
- Students will be able to demonstrate competency in all fundamental motor skills, as well as skillful performance in physical education content areas.
- Students will be able to synthesize and present information relating to health content areas to a diverse audience.
3. Planning and Implementation of Health and Physical Education Curriculum: Students will plan and implement developmentally appropriate learning experiences aligned with local, state, and/or national standards for Pre-K – 12 students.
- Students will be able to plan and implement appropriate (e.g., measureable, developmentally appropriate, performance-based) short- and long-term plan objectives that are aligned with local, state and/or SHAPE America National Standards and Grade-Level Outcomes for K-12 Physical Education.
- Students will be able to plan and implement individualized instruction for diverse student needs, adding specific accommodations and/or modifications for all students.
4. Instructional Delivery and Management: Students will engage Pre-K – 12 students in meaningful learning experiences through effective use of pedagogical skills.
- Students will be able to implement transitions, routines and positive behavior management to create and maintain a safe, supportive and engaging learning environment.
- Students will be able to Analyze motor skills and performance concepts in order to provide specific, congruent feedback to enhance student learning.
5. Assessment of Student Learning: Students will select and implement appropriate assessments to monitor students’ progress and guide decision making related to instruction and learning.
- Students will be able to implement formative assessments that monitor student learning before and throughout the long-term plan, as well as summative assessments that evaluate student learning upon completion of the long-term plan.
- Students will be able to implement a reflective cycle to guide decision-making based on student learning, and short- and long-term plan objectives.
6. Professional Responsibility: Students will exhibit professional ethics and culturally competent practices in health and physical education.
- Students will be able to engage in behavior that reflects professional ethics, practice and cultural competence.